How To Build a $100 Gaming PC | Guide & Benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoredGamerUK, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Skaeter77

Skaeter77 New Member

Hi guys,

I hope you all are doing great! I finally can say that I've finished doing the major improvements that needed to be done to feel comfortable without having to spend money in a better GPU (that will come later). I have re-used some of the components that I had in my last rig (water cooler, SSD, HDD) and some of them have been a pain in the ass to move from AMD platform to Intel, especially the water cooler because I did not have the Intel brackets to install the headsink to the CPU and finding a 3-pin header for the pump of the water cooler. However, I took all this as a challenge and I have to admit I quite enjoyed every single step.

Here some pictures of the pre-final look (before buying a new GPU):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The position of all components have been thoroughly placed, in a way that temperatures do not reach uncomfortable values for me, and believe me, it is hard when you only count on a tin can as a case.

I will keep you updated about the special tricks I have had to do to make this work smooth and cool

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Rasseru and Sanx like this.
  2. Skaeter77

Skaeter77 New Member

Hi guys,

I was searching for what CPU we have available for a LGA 1366 motherboard with some cool features and a pretty decent clock speed out of the box (without further overclocking) I and bumped into this CPU: the Intel Xeon x5687. This CPU is a quad core with hyperthreading and a base clock speed of 3.6 Ghz that can go up to 3.8 GHz in a single core (3.7 CHz for all cores), this is the only CPU in the X5600 series that reaches those clock speeds, even beating the x5690 (a six cores at 3.46GHz). That base clock speed makes it the most powerful single threaded CPU in the Xeon realm for LGA 1366 motherboard which is going to show that extra performance in applications that really need a strong single core performance (like most video games nowadays). It is great having this amazing clock speed and having at the same time other cool features making this CPU perfect for gaming (if you are looking for CPU for a WorkStation you will get more performance out of more cores CPUs).

What is more incredible than this CPU itself is its price: 50 to 60£ in eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTEL-XEO...556263?hash=item25cc8c9927:g:ZVoAAOSwImRYbO0T and http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeo...175215?hash=item1eaea6a32f:g:~FEAAOSwJQdXDSZT if you want to check it out).

However, this little boy comes with a handicap: the temperatures tend to be higher that its brothers, so I recommend a non passive CPU cooler. To put it into context, I am water cooling mine with Antec Kuhler 620 H2O and the maximum temperature is 67 Celsius degrees, which is not to bad but this water cooler is a decent water cooler.

There you have it, I hope that helps someone and stayed tuned for more!

Rasseru and BoredGamerUK like this.
  3. Skaeter77

Skaeter77 New Member

Hi there!

For those who are really fond in getting the most of your chip out of the box (because lower base clock speed usually means lower temperatures, but no always applicable), there is another quad core Intel Xeon CPU, with hyperthreading at 3.46Ghz that goes up to 3.86Ghz and fit perfectly in a LGA 1366 socket. The prices can go from 50£ to 60£, exactly the same price that his big brother the x5687 and that is the reason why I do not recommended, but the possibility is still there if you are really concern about the temperatures (also keep in mind that Intel states that max temperatures for these two CPU go all the way up to 80.4°C which is a huge temperature room, and that is for the Integrated Heat Spreader (the aluminium where you spread the thermal paste), so room for the cores themselves is higher).

You can check all the CPUs' features in the following links:
    X5677: http://ark.intel.com/products/47929/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5677-12M-Cache-3_46-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI
    x5687: http://ark.intel.com/products/52578/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5687-12M-Cache-3_60-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

Hope these deeper researches help someone to take a step in this wonderful world of technology.

BoredGamerUK likes this.
  4. Rasseru

Rasseru New Member

Hey guys! signed up for this thread due to needing a house PC now I have a separate studio. Well done BoredGamer - this is well cool that you have inspired me to do this. Also nice one Skaeter77 for the CPU suggestion.

This is also for VR gaming. so far I have:

xeon x5687 - £50
    T3500 - £70
    12gb ram - £25
    1tb HD - 0
    525w PSU - 0
    cooler = ?
    =£145

1060 - £250
    = ~£400

or
    1070 - £350
    PSU - £50
    PSU switch - £10
    = ~£560

1080p monitor - £50
    Oculus rift DK2 = 0

Pretty powerful PC for reasonable money! - 1070 has better frames out the box & SLI support, i'll probably go for that in the end.
    And just hang on to my DK2 at least to see whats happening with the current state of valve vs oculus. I would love to buy the valve because I dont like oculus business practices but the touch controllers are better.... anyway, thats another thread.

Also, my dream of a real graphical-number-cruncher is actually feasible. Google deep dream A.I art stuff crashes my workstation when making images at a decent res for A3+, and that is 24 gigs - the thought of being able to have a dual-Xeon with 96 or 192 gigs of RAM never crossed my mind. Holy sh!t. I would actually be able to render higher than A3 with no crashes for (relatively) small money (MASSIVE difference compared to what it would cost 5 years ago. 96gig will be i think be about a grand now. Was measured in the 10s of thousands 5 years ago.. - i read $50,000 for a 192 gig server) thats pretty insane.

And it all runs win 10. amazing :D

5. Skaeter77

Skaeter77 New Member

The GTX 1070 is pretty good, but for this rig is an overkilling component, even the GTX 1060 6Gb would be overkilling for this rig. Altough, you will have graphic card for years to come, to get the most of the performance you will need to upgrade to a motherboard and CPU more powerful.

Also, the Dell Precision T3500 Workstation only supports 24 Gb of DDR3 RAM, if you want to get 72Gb or 192Gb you will need a T5500 or a T7500, respectively. Additionally, make sure that the Worskstation that you are going to buy has the 2nd CPU riser, a piece of hardware that you will need for installing the 2nd CPU in your rig.

At last but not least, usually those Workstation come with all the components included, which means you will get the PSU (a powerful 875W PSU with all you need and more).

Good luck bidding and if you have any question dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Rasseru likes this.
  6. Rasseru

Rasseru New Member

I am buying the 3500 as a test rig (just snagged one for £70, with quaddro, PSU, HD, 4gb), need a bit more ram in there, & the X series processor & cooling. I have an old PSU that will run the card already, over double the wattage for the 1070. - but i did a quick calculation and i think one 1070 can be ran from the 500 watt PSU in the 3500? The dell ones are good, and if it wont, then I have a backup just for the card. - in fact i'm just going to be using my 680s in SLI for the time being. (i'm enjoying getting some good deals so are happy to hunt for a bargain)

1070 is because the 1060's cant SLI, and I will want to upgrade to a better resolution monitor in the summer - I have just snagged a 1080p BenQ for £80, but will want something better later :)

I am going to go for a 7500 with the riser board and 2x hex core, watercool them so it can number crunch graphics stuff & also use for gaming but later in the year. I am happy to keep hunting eBay for bargains for this build.. the 3500 is for now as I want to play some games & show my friends VR at home.

so much fun.

7. Rasseru

Rasseru New Member

My 3500 case has just arrived, without asking for a big writeup - was there anything major that you can advise before I start taking it apart?

Also my mobo is different from yours.. aha! I see - you have a 5500..

I have a 3500 mobo, in a case with a 5500 code :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  8. Skaeter77

Skaeter77 New Member

I took away everything that I knew I was not going to use: the HDD tray because it takes so much room and didn't allow me to put my HD 7950 (quite huge card). I also took away the CPU riser mounting because the option of a 2nd CPU is unthinkable right now (you will need a long screw driver for this). And the last part was the one that I enjoyed the most: taking apart the fan case (2 huge fans pretty powerful) to attach them to the water cooler and the other one facing the RAM and the graphics card to low down temperatures a bit.
    All the advices that I have given you are for the T5500, I hope they are applicable to your T3500.
    Enjoy the reconstruction!! It is so much fun!!

9. Rasseru

Rasseru New Member

I ended up going a little over budget (Ram isnt as cheap as I thought it would be!) - buttttt -----

[​IMG]

posting this from a not-so-shiny scrapheap gaming PC, complete with cheap TN panel :)

totally not finished, i've only got the proc in there. Memory is maxed out already (87% and nothing happening lol) so I just have to wait for everything to get deliverooed

BoredGamerUK likes this.
  10. BoredGamerUK

BoredGamerUK BoredGamer Premium User Content Creator BoredGamer Mod

11. Boblar

Boblar New Member

Hoping to follow your brilliant guide i picked up a T3500 to upgrade from my ancient Dell XPS 630i so I can get out of my hanger and actually move around in the verse . Trouble is I only have a GTX 550ti to use until next Xmas. Would that card be compatible with the stock T3500?

12. BoredGamerUK

BoredGamerUK BoredGamer Premium User Content Creator BoredGamer Mod

The T3500 has a Pci-e slot and 1 6 pin connector by default. If you require different connectors you'll need to buy adapters.

Boblar likes this.
  13. Boblar

Boblar New Member

Great thanks for the help

14. Boblar

Boblar New Member

Hoping to get some more details about the CPU fan you added and the second PSU you used and how you attached it to the rig.

15. Boblar

Boblar New Member

Been using my new rig with the 550ti for a week and SC I have been able to get out in the verse though still choppy. I've been eying off a GTX 970 but I have no idea what adaptor I'd need for an 8 pin as my psu has only one 6 pin.

Edit: just watched the video in more detail and found the info sorry. Gonna keep an eye out for a dual 6pin 970 and get a sata-6pin converter.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  16. Jesse Shumaker

Jesse Shumaker New Member

BoredUKGamer,

Is this thread still relevant around 7 months later? I'm in this position of deciding on buying this build-out but don't know if it will still do the game justice (keeping over 60fps). Also how were your framerates in the PU during testing? I don't see those FPS results.

thanks