Updating the ageing Rig. High end graphics card input

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nesh, May 3, 2017.

1. Nesh

Nesh New Member

Hey guys,

So my rig still have several years in her (3rd Gen I7 3770, 16gig RAM) but my graphics card is struggling to keep up. Its a GTX640, runs Star Citizen but its jumpy.

Im kind of in that difficult no mans land. I know theres no point upgrading to a new rig yet FOR star citizen BUT when 3.0 comes out (and 4.0 and beta) I want to be running better than I am now. I want to have a formidable rig, hence I need a graphics card and I'm happy to drop enough on it to keep this machine chugging as long as possible as my main rig. Eventually I'd retire this as a second gaming PC in the house, so I'd like it to run 1440...even an oculus rig.

So im looking at the high end card, the 1080s and...even wondering whether the 1080Tis are worthwhile. @Bored, sounded from your review that the difference is negligible so perhaps sticking with a straight 1080 is the way to go. Then Im wondering which cards rate well, don't sound like vaccum cleaners and are well built?

Given the forward compatibility with 1440, ?4k (no idea maybe!) and VR/oculus figured 8gig at least covers it all for onboard.

Current recommendations:
    ------------------------------
    My local parts & gamers shop recommend:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Waterforce WB 8GB GV-N1080XTREME WB-8GD for $1000AUD
    Toms Hardware: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW Gaming ACX 3.0
    Toms Hardware: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming
    Toms Hardware: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming

Love your thoughts guys!

BoredGamerUK likes this.
  2. BoredGamerUK

BoredGamerUK BoredGamer Premium User Content Creator BoredGamer Mod

I think all you need is a 1070 personally.
    1080s are overkill.

3. Nesh

Nesh New Member

Cheers Bored, I'm also thinking about forward compatibility, wanting to keep this machine in service as long as I can for future games.

Would have thought getting as much juice as possible means it will remain a useful machine longer as game requirements continue to increase over the years to come? Thoughts?

BoredGamerUK likes this.
  4. zeus_anoxia

zeus_anoxia Moderator Premium User TWERK17 MOD MVP

I think the GTX1080 is a good buy these days if you can swing it. Especially after it came down in price after the 1080Ti came out. That card should tie you over for at least the next 2 graphics generations (2-3 years).
    Look out for deals on them and snag one up. MSI has a 50 euro cash back campaign on 1080's now but I think it's EU only.
    Someone said on discord, the other day, they grabbed a 1080 sea hawk (that's the water cooled version of the 1080) for like 550 euro. That card was 900-1000 euro, 3 months ago. It's crazy.
    Keep your eyes open and your ear to the ground.

BoredGamerUK likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh New Member

So thinking about future proofing is there much point pushing for a 1080Ti or is there a relatively small jump from a 1080?

6. zeus_anoxia

zeus_anoxia Moderator Premium User TWERK17 MOD MVP

unless you want to run 3x 1440p displays, i wouldn't over extend to a 1080Ti. The Ti is like 15-20% faster but the regular 1080 is already a fucken monster.
    You also need to consider that GPU will get held back by the CPU. I just bought a GTX1080 myself and i have an Intel i5 3570k. The CPU is now a bottleneck for this monster GPU.
    Do yourself a favor, grab a 1080 on sale and save some cash for the rest of the system.

7. Nesh

Nesh New Member

Amen. Thats why its worth asking heh. I could see myself upgrading to a dual monitor setup on this computer (just sold my 3d 1920 asus monitor, ech the 3d was awful) maybe pick up a 1440 for a main and my current 1920 as the secondary but that'll be the limit.

Thanks guys :) One day my mates will play my backup SC account on this machine....one day :P If the CPU doesnt decide to melt itself randomly one day...

8. DirtiDodger

DirtiDodger New Member

how has your decision making gone on selecting a card Nesh? This is often a predicament i find myself in whenever i buy anything from a new GPU to even a SSD/HDD. Longevity is kinda a key factor for me too.
    The 640's in SLI arent too bad from what i hear, but upgrading would definitely be better, especially with the newer 10xx series cards from Nvidia! Id suggest 1070 as a minimum like bored, but why not just pay that little bit extra and grab a 1080!